From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:28:06 -0400
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Don and Rachel Matesz wrote:

> Re. Maple Syrup.  Maple SYRUP is not edible raw; in fact there is no such
> thing as raw maple SYRUP.  Maple syrup is a product obtained only by
> extensive heat-processing of maple SAP.  There is a 30x reduction via
> extensive cooking (i.e. processing) from the raw sap to the syrup.  MAPLE
> SYRUP IS THEREFORE ALWAYS A PROCESSED FOOD.

Neanderthin at least does not prohibit processed foods, since
pemmican is a processed food.  Its only restriction is that the
ingredients be edible raw.  Is maple sap edible?  If so, then
maple syrup is "paleo," according to the Neanderthin definition.
I'm not suggesting that this is the only criterion that should be
considered, but just clarifying it.

For that matter, olive oil is a processed food.  The extraction
of the oil by pressing is a form of processing.  The frozen apple
juice concentrate used in Neanderthin barbecue sauce is a
processed food.

Todd Moody