From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:39:48 -0500
Adrienne Smith wrote:

>But I am so worried about his blood pressure and feel that it may
>help if he were to e
>at more paleo style.

Adrienne, as a first step I would suggest simply trying to restrict his
amount of carbs, but not necessarily which ones.  High carb intake can
have an effect on BP that is independent of body weight, fitness, etc.
Plenty of thin and fit people have hypertension.  High carb consumption
tends to cause fluid retention, and in many people that alone is enough
to raise BP--which is why mild cases of hypertension are treated with
diuretics.  With all the exercise your husband is getting, he won't like
it if you try for radical carb reduction overnight.  Try gradually
reducing and monitor BP as you do it.  Excess insulin promotes the
production of series 2 prostaglandins, which tend to favor
vasoconstriction, and that too could be causing the BP to rise.  Some
kind of omega-3 supplementation should also be helpful, I would think.
In my own case, my BP had been creeping up, and when I cut carbs (not
even that radically; just to Zone levels), it normalized very
quickly--in a week or so.  I know that not everyone gets such a quick
reaction, but this would be the first thing to try, in my opinion.

Todd Moody