From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:45:54 -0600
> depends how far you want to go back, since the Auroch was domesticated
about 8,000 years ago.

It's likely it could have been earlier than that. It's not much of a leap
to go from following a herd of animals around to somehow controlling their
migrations. Plus, we know that 'dogs' were not just hunting partners among
known hunter-gatherers. They were also used as a food source.

Same arguments exist for the origins of agriculture pre-dating the periods
we generally quote. It would become obvious that certain seeds left lying
around a camp would eventually sprout and produce plants. *We* always
associate the origins of agriculture with grains, but there may have been
*some* agriculture (permaculture?) in existence long before 10,000 years
ago. (Pure speculation, of course).

>To complicate this further, it seems that most people allowed the
milk/cream to ferment, which it does >on its own. The bacteria is already
in there from the cow.

Again, the argument that what makes it "semi-paleo" is eating it in a
pre-digested state. Not unlike taking advantage of herbivores' digestive
systems to digest what we cannot ("leave the digesting to us" :).

> I wonder how they separated the babies (rhino) from the moms without
getting trampled.
> Probably shot them from ambush?

Perhaps they were 'herding' them?

> I heard of this. They used poisoned arrows. Just a small injury. And
after a long time a dead
> elephant. Sometimes dying elephants with very ugly wounds after the
intoxications. Not really the
> gentle or courageous way.

Gentleness and courage have nothing to do with it. Intelligence does.

Lions are not gentle nor courageous when they make a kill. But a lion will
veer as far away from an adult rhino or elephant as he possibly can. Humans
have the ability to 'create' improved claws and fangs.