From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 09:56:46 -0500
I just got my bloodwork back for life insurance, and although my
cholesteral ratio hasn't changed much -- Total Chol: 244 HDL 103; LDL 134
Triglycerides 36 since my last test 3 months ago, I am concerned that my
LDL rose 20 points.  I have been eating low carb (meats, fish, chicken +
mostly non-starchy veggies, olive oil) and lots of saturated fat the past 2
months in the form of coconut oil, and unsweetened coconut milk (plus
taking natural Armour thyroid) for the past 3 months and expected my
overall cholesteral to be lower.  (The excessive hair shedding I have
mentioned on this board from time to time stopped on the 4th day of taking
the Armour thyroid -- 1/2 grain!  I had gone to numerous MDs, derms, and
endocrinoligists, but my thyroid bloodwork always came back "normal".   I
finally found a doctor who believes in paleo dieting and low-carb dieting,
and he agreed to a trial course of Armour.)

I am on my 4th day of trying Cordain's Paleo diet version (low saturated
fat, emphasize lean mean and unlimited non-starch veggies and fruit.)  I
know one (especially women) can expect weight fluctuations from day to day,
but I seem to have immediately put on 2 pounds within 4 days!  This is
significant as I am only 5'2.5" tall.  For those of you on the board that
have experienced success with Cordain's Paleo Diet version, did you notice
any kind of a temporary weight gain at first??  I am unfortunately always
seduced by the thought of eating "unlimited" amounts of anything, so of
course my first reaction to this weight gain is that I am overdoing
fruits.  I have only been eating them as dessert after protein rich meals --
 but I have been eating a lot of them.  Any thoughts?  I would like to lose
those blasted "last 10 pounds" of fat over the next 3 months.