From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:00:27 EST
Paul Getty wrote:
> When I was eating higher carbs, if I took away restriction I would gain 20
to 30 pounds quickly, and continue to gain after that.  It wouldn't be
binging, just eating an awful lot because I was always hungry.
I don't think removing restriction is all that great for some.

That speaks to the other issue I mentioned in describing why I struggle with
my weight--reactive hypoglycemia.  Like you, if I eat a high carb diet, I am
constantly hungry.  My blood sugar becomes so unstable that I need to eat
every 2-3 hours.  Stable blood sugar is, for me, the great blessing of eating
in a paleo manner.  Since I started eating in the paleo style, my blood sugar
has never been so stable.  I can routinely go for 5, 6, 7 hours without food,
without feeling like I'm going to pass out.  I get hungry, but it's true
hunger, not that low blood sugar "ravenous" feeling.

I think compulsive eating is more a woman's issue than a man's issue.  Many
men can drop 50 pounds simple by cutting out soda and potato chips, and they
don't get psychological complexes in doing so.  The eating issue is much more
straight-forward for men.  Society lets men go gray and get a pot belly
without making any big deal of it.  Men are still considered quite acceptable
and attractive that way.  They same thing cannot be said for women, whom
society rejects and condemns when they go gray or gain weight.

     - Sheryl