From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:05:45 -0500
Ron Hoggan wrote:
> My physiotherapist raised some pigs and tried to avoid feeding them grains
> but they just wouldn't fatten without the grains. She had to feed them some
> corn to get some fat on them and still, the butcher teased her about how
> lean they were.

I've certainly seen that with lambs. One year we raised half the lambs
with just pasture and the other half with supplemental grain. The ones
getting the grain had more fat, and the meat was more tender. I
suspect you can get around that, though, with maintaining exceptional
pasture health. Hope to try that someday...

We've gotten pigs to fatten up very well with no grain. Fed them on
hay, and surplus full-fat dairy products from a local cheese factory.

Hilary