From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:04:49 +0900
 I don't
> understand what causes the initial weight loss to be so dramatic, and why it
> later stops. I did take a look in the Neanderthin book last night though and
> there was a part about how your body doesn't initially have enough of the
> right enzymes to digest the new foods, particularly all the protein, and I
> guess that would explain the kind of "dumping" syndrome.

It is water loss. Sugar is stored in the body tied with water. When
you begin to reduce stored sugar the water goes too. That is why you
should drink more, to make sure you do not lose too much water in this
process. So you are mostly not losing fat at this stage, just water as
with most diets.

I lost the same though I am slim. A few pounds came back later, then
gradually I lost them again as the fat was burned. Do not worry too
much about weight swings of several pounds unless they become a trend
over a few weeks. If you are overweight you should begin slowly to
lose fat.