From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:52:09 -0500
On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Damron, Mike (KYTC) wrote:

>         Thanks, Todd.  After reading your suggestion, I went out on my lunch
> break and got a potassium and magnesium supplement.  By dinner time I felt
> great.  Unbelievable.  I don't generally take supplements because I believe
> in this WOE so whole-heartedly and they never made a difference I could
> feel.  I stand corrected.  Todd, you are truly one of the great Smart People
> of the online world.  I envy your wisdom.

Well, the wise person is Lyle McDonald on the lowcarb list.  He
posted the material on electrolyte supplementation and ketogenic
diet.  Incidentally, the study I'm thinking of showed that sodium
in particular is likely to run low.  If you don't use salt, you
might want to think about doing so.  The Phinney study indicated
that supplementation to the tune of 4-5 grams per day is needed
to avoid some of the unpleasant effects of ketosis, especially
fatigue.

I hope the good effects are sustained and not just a coincidence,
too.

This is a good example of how the *details* can make a
difference.  We assume that electrolyte supplementation is
unnatural and therefore unnecessary, and this is probably correct
on a nonketogenic diet.  But as carbs go lower and lower it
becomes an issue.  The fact is that we don't know how common
ketogenic diet was in the prehistoric world, or what those people
might have done to avoid electrolyte depletion.  I know that I
crave salt on meat.  Perhaps this is a protective mechanism.

Todd Moody