From:
Quentin Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:52:43 +1200
On 27 Mar 2001, at 22:01, Ingrid Bauer wrote:

> The discussion has failed to mention wood pigeon which are heaps
> larger than the common domestic pigeon.  The usual way to catch
> them was with flax loops along the edge of half hollow logs that
> acted as water troughs.
>
> I don't get it ! could you give more  technical details how those
> pigeons were caught in those loops?
>
> jean-claude

Sure.   G'day G'day Claude,

The Maori used stone tools to create hollows in small logs.  Along the
edges of these logs they placed flax snares.   The snares had loops
that the pigeons placed their feet through as they perched on the
edge of the trough and would be snared when they took off.  The log
troughs I have seen in museums had about eight snares held in place
by twigs.   The logs were placed close to trees bearing fruit that the
pigeons would gorge on.    Wood pigeons I have seen get so full they
can barely fly.

Another technique was to use a detachable noose on a long pole.  The
noose was slipped over the head of a pigeon, the head of the pole
detached and the pigeon was snared on a long flax line.   An some of
us think we have a hard day at the office.  <grin>

Other ground bird were snared making use of their innate curiosity
for bright objects.

Quentin Grady