From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:46:44 -0600
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:06:18 -0600, Ashley Moran
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If you are eating 130g of fat a day (about 1200Cal) and that is 40%
> of your calories, then you must be eating about 3000Cal a day.
> That's a feast and a half!

Not really.  Any less and I lose weight (I am 200 lb man, very lean,
fairly fast metabolism, and I exercise at least half an hour daily,
including aerobics and weightlifting).

> But it would mean you are eating only
> 900Cal from protein a day, which is about the proportion I eat.
> 900Cal of carbs is a lot though- about 9 bananas or 20 apples if my
> memory is right.  I can't see any risk of rabbit starvation really-
> or risk of any sort of starvation for that matter!!!

I get the carbs primarily from fruits, carrots, and winter squash.  Three
or four pieces of fruit a day is typical, sometimes more.  On days when I
don't exercise as hard, I ease up on the carbs.

> How long have you been eating paleo- and what does your diet
> generally consist of?

About two months so far.  On a typical day, I'll eat four or five eggs, a
pound of chicken breasts, and a pound of beef (often ground beef), three
or four pieces of fruit, two or three pounds of vegetables, and half a cup
of almonds or walnuts.

> I find that most people starting paleo
> continue to eat the same cuts of meat as before (eg steak) and this
> is what causes them to struggle.

Indeed this is the case -- I haven't changed the kind of meat I'm eating.

> (Having said that I ate lean cuts
> for about 6 months before I realised what I was doing).  Just check
> your sums again as it's very easy to misjudge what you are eating.

I've been recording everything in a dietary software tracking package.
I'm amused by statistics, so I have a very accurate record of what I've
eaten.  The percentages I mentioned were a running average of the last
seven days.

--
   Robert Kesterson