From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:04:54 +0200
Hi Susan,
you wrote:
>I'm just wondering...why aren't you interested in meat? I thought
you were
>in Europe where the meat is grassfed and held in high esteem for its
>quality. I saw a thing on TV about the nice grassfed venison that is
>raised
>in Europe somewhere. What country do you live in?

I'm living in Bavaria (Germany) where the land is pretty and rich and
there is very much concern about possible dangers from meat,
maybe BSE (cattle originating from UK), hormones and gentechnics.

Now, meat may be available here in good quality
-at least if you pay about double the price-
from organic sources or from (partly grassfed) angus or scottish
highland cattle.
From a *paleolithic* viewpoint that's still far away from a natural
raised animal, IMHO.
Because what those animals get fed is always -(maybe grains, but)
crops.And the things the animals get big/fat from,
are the things they contain, especially the fats.

In the best case (if organic) those crops are grown without chemicals
and
environmental poisons which accumulate in the animal.
But animals are farmed ("produced") *always* on crops.
Always, because simply the area an animal needs to live on - and get
fat- without beeing fed is *enormous*.
100 million square meters are needed for the wildlife
to nourish for ONE person in paleolithic times on meat.
This are 10000ha or 50000 acres, i think.
Now i learnt that fattening the animals on grains is called
"finishing" in the USA.
Well, the only exception may be fish
(not historically paleo, but real wild game).

So, if eating meat, then I would talk to a hunter (there always are
some),
buy half animals (or "leftover" organs) and freeze them.
Hm looking into the freezer then might remind me of a hitchkock
thriller.
I now got different cravings - I just don't feel like....
and i found various plant seeds to be idealy suited.
Seeds from trees (nuts) or their neolithic replacements (cereals and
pulses).
And increasingly more and more greens (you may call salads).

>I used to be a vegetarian and have more energy eating meat, that is
why I
am interested.
Beeing vegetarian is not a health ensurance, many don't care about
a natural (adapted, paleo...) selection and preparation of foods.
Interesting that you could increase your energy with meat.
I think here are quite a few former vegetarians with a similar story.
I had the opposite experience, shortly after leaving out meat-meals
I felt much more energyful, brighter, quicker
And got a better skin and stomach (digestion).
I must say totally leaving out dairy increases this effect.
Certainly also the former meat-meals weren't really paleo.

>It would be nice if you are healthy eating your way, because my
children do
>not eat that much meat and I would like to think they'll be ok
anyway.
My children (who always had their own free decision) grew up totally
without meat / fish / poultry and look healthy and really big
(the 15 y. old now is 179cm the 13year old is 176cm).
They alays got best quality of whole seeds and fruit.
They also liked soy tofu (which i don't eat).

>What kinds of nuts and vegetables do you eat?
I described my present composition recently in a mail which i'm
allowing myself to post seperately.

regards

Amadeus

---