From:
Dedy Rundle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:27:56 +0100
At 7:12 PM +0000 4/8/10, Todd Moody wrote:
 >Dextrose is glucose. Glucose is definitely paleo, since free glucose (in addition to bound glucose in sucrose) is found in fruit.
 >
 >Todd Moody

As a child [primary school], every early summer, just outside the school's gate, the 'sugarcane-man' would set up, selling short sections of sugarcane... he'd peel the tough outer layer for us with a very sharp knife and we'd walk away happily chewing and sucking on the exposed cane.

I'd imagine that just like honey was an occasional and/or seasonal paleo treat ,so would have been raw sugarcane for those paleo people living where sugarcane was a native plant... tropical South Asia and Southeast Asia.

No doubt it's the refined, ubiquitous stuff, consumed in disproportionate huge quantities, that paleo people weren't exposed to.

Dedy