From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:26:22 -0500
 >Date:         Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:09:49 +1030
 >From:         Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]>
 >Subject:      Re: Alaskan pink salmon

 >I'm somewhat behind in reading my posts.

<snip>

 >>Australian subscribers to the Paleofood list may like to know that this
 >>product is widely available here through the Coles chain of supermarkets.

<snip>
 >Are you suggesting that _all_ tinned salmon
 >marked 'Alaska' is wild-caught,
 >or is it necessary to check out each
 >brand individually?

I have heard that all tins stamped 'Alaska' contain fish caught in the
ocean, but I was not confident, so I checked the Coles brand as (a) it was
cheapest and (b) it included a 'no added salt' line.

 >On another note - red salmon appears
 >to be about twice as expensive as pink
 >salmon. Is it better in some way, or
 >not worth the extra cost?

Must be a culture/status thing. Tastes a bit different but not enough to
justify the vast price differential.  You can compare the nutritional
content with the panels printed on the labels (Australian regulations
require more useful labeling than US labeling laws).  If they are
inadequate for your purposes, write to the manufacturer / retailer.  It
can be a battle to get a personalized response to your query, but persist
and you'll get there.  I am presently engaged with one retailer trying to
get from them a nutritional analysis of their tinned sardines.  They sell
a 110g tin of sardines with a nominal 84g of fish and 26g of olive oil.
Their analysis is based on the assumption that customers drain the olive
oil off and discard it.  They cannot believe I would willingly eat that
much oil - yet they sell olive oil by the litre in the next aisle!

Keith