From:
Dorothy Hester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:27:52 EDT
quote
In contrast to earlier epidemiologic studies showing a low
prevalence of atherosclerotic heart disease (AHD) and type-2
dependent diabetes mellitus (Type-2 DM) in the Indian
subcontinent,
 I am generally a lurker here, but had to comment on this one.
 In Texas, most Indians I know {{{medical field and know plenty}}}}}} are
vegetarians by religious dictate.
I suggest that this increase in AHD etc is due to a life time of inadequte
protien intake, and increased sugar comsumption, as seen all over the world
in the last 100 years. Also with the exception of one out of 20.....all the
females are grossly to moderately over weight. The males are developing huge
guts!!!!!!!! and there appears to be muscle wasting. Just my  0.02 and non
scientific observations. < back to lurker mode>
Thanks
Dorothy