From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:24:19 CDT
I remember earlier that there was a discussion about rabbit starvation, ie a
diet high in protein but containing very little fat and carbs.

For overweight people, wouldn't a high protein, low fat/carb diet be the
most effective for rapid weight loss?  The body will be forced to run off
stored bodyfat and what little glucose is broken down from the protein.  If
exercise is done to keep the thyroid from down-regulating, then a massive
energy deficit should exist.  Wouldn't this then cause fat to be lost at an
incredible rate?

An extremely obese friend of mine has been eating 4 small servings of lean
protein divided in 4 small meals per day.  In only about 4 weeks, he has
lost dramatic (I'm talking like 12-15lbs of fat here!!) amounts of bodyfat
by only doing *minimal* cardio and weight training.

I guess my question is: If someone is overweight, wouldn't this type of diet
be perfectly healthy assuming that a normal, higher fat neanderthin type
diet is resumed after an acceptable bodyfat level has been achieved?  If
you're obese, how can you 'starve' following a rabbit starvation diet if you
have all that stored bodyfat to run off of?

Justin

ps. A quick question about thyroid.  People will thyroid problems often take
T3 (the most active thyroid hormone).  Someone told me that taking T3
actually causes an *increase* in insulin levels.  Does anyone have any idea
if this is true?  To what extent does it cause an insulin release - is it
dose dependent?

If T3 causes a dose dependent release of insulin, then perhaps a lower
dosage of T3 (spread throughout the day) would cause a greater fat loss than
a high dose of T3 b/c the added insulin from the higher dose would
negatively affect fat loss.  Any thoughts?