From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:37:00 -0400
"Paleogal" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think peanuts can be eaten by the majority...we should
> let our own reaction to a food be our guide.

True. We shouldn't base our lives on the 2% of the
population suffering allergies to peanuts, RAW dairy
products, or other "non-paleo" foods. Often, people
with alleged peanut allergies can eat all-natural
peanut butter without problems, just as many with
(processed) milk allergy thrive on raw milk.

> I get along very well with
> walnuts, macademias, pecans, and peanuts...
> There is a "stop" with walnuts but
> not as good with the others...
> peanuts are the worst.

Shelling nuts by hand would prevent over-eating them. I
doubt that primitives ate large amounts of nuts, except
for coconut in some regions. Too much trouble to break
them open. Not as healthy as animal foods.

> Must be the carb content although I haven't checked
> the profile of them in quite some time...Peanuts I can
> over-eat......  Oliva

Lack of shell allows over-eating. Try eating one at a
time and chewing each one at least 30 times. But then
again, nut butters seem less likely to cause allergic
reactions (IgA, IgG, IgM...).

-Bruce