From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 06:13:04 -0500
>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, S.B. Feldman, MD wrote:
>
>> Complex carbohydrate has to do with the number of sugar molecules hooked
>> together and nothing more than that. They can be good, bad or
indifferent.
>> There can be a few or many sugars joined.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:16:02 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>There are monosaccharides, disaccharides, and polysaccharides.  I
>think once you get to the polys they're all considered complex.
>
>So Wonder Bread qualifies!

That's more a chemical description of "complex".
Digestion of polymere carbohydrates like starch is quick and it's not much
of difference to eating sugar or glucose directly.

What makes carbohydrates really "complex" and healthy is IMO
what they come together with, in the natural package of nature.
Starches are energy storage of plants, and come in nature mostly together
with a germ, whitch is very nutritious.
If we leave this package together, we get a lot of befenits:
1. Protein (in about 150% of RDA per 2500 kcal)
   this slows insulin elevation and is Barry Sears main means to
   achieve his favourable prostaglandin composition
2. Fat - even starchy seeds have some fat from 2% (wheat) to 7% (oats).
   The fat unburdens the carb pathways - most energy we can consume as fat.
   The fat causes a slower entry of the carbs into the blood
   -> slower insulin elevation
3. Fiber. Supports good microflora which fights a bad one, esp. yeasts.
   Helps in absorbing toxins in the gut. Again slows sugar absorbation.
4. Micronutrients. Particularly B-Vitamins. Which are irreplaceable
   for using the carb energy for movement and thinking energy
   - instead of adipose tissue.

I think what makes carbohydrates "complex" is the complex of the carb
energy together with the above items. This is how carb energy comes
in nature and what we should be adapted to.

Todd posted a insulin score table which max give some hints about
such real complexity of carbs (
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0012&L=paleofood&P=R12874 ).
What's not included are whole grains (or even sprouts) like of rye.
According to Sears is has a very low glycemic index. Lower than beef even.

regards,

Amadeus S.