Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 15:42:08 -0500
Caryl Wattman wrote:
> No, I don't have a
> fever.  It keeps feeling like I *do* have a fever and I take my temp but
it's
> always 97.4 or so, not even normal.  I've had more fruit than usual --
four or
> five pieces a day rather than my usual two -- but otherwise have stuck to
> strict NeanderThin.
> When you say pig out on carbs, could you be more specific about what you
eat?
I eat enough to start feeling hot. It's rather rapid for me - within
half an
hour or so. The first time I did it it was 3 fruits, if I recall
correctly.
This is usually what I'd do - have a few fruits at the same time (say
3-4
oranges,
bananas, apples), might even drink some juice with that. Sometimes
(like
this
week, when I did/do have a cold/flu of some sort) I will load up on
other
stuff.
Like having 3 huge bowls of borscht, which has beets, potatoes, and
some
sweet
stuff (I know - not paleo, but I was in a restaurant and wanted
something
hot,
with carbs, but without grains).

> Something else that's different about this cold, btw, is that I took lots
of
> vitamin C and echinacea, which usually works -- no effect.
I'd say keep with the vitamin C.

> And, above all, how do you explain these strange colds and coughs that are
> cured by more carbs?
I don't think the cough is actually cured by carbs (I have my own
thoughts
and
remedies for that), but the colds run a much shorted course,
consequently
the
coughs don't last as long as well.

My particular cough problem probably stems from low cortisol (or low
reserve
of cortisol). Get ready for some hand waving for an explanation now. I
believe
that many people who are strongly affected by non-paleo foods have
this
problem.
(probably grains as the main culprit). I have followed chronic fatigue
and
fybromyalgia newsgroups for some time (started because of my
girlfriend at
the
time). Most of the symptoms (not the causes) of those deseases can be
traced
the low levels of either thyroid hormones or adrenal hormones or both.
The
only
reliable way to get better is by following a restricted carb diet that
also
eliminates grains (eg Zone would qualify, even though it's not paleo
or
low-carb).
It seems the more carbs are restricted the better. There seem to be
some
kind of
connection between reduced thyroid function and reduced adrenal
function but
am not sure what it is. Anyway, there is a treatment (that I consider
only
as
temporary) for low cortisol levels.
TIME FOR A LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR, THIS IS NOT AN ADVICE,
DO
ANYTHING
AT YOUR RISK.
This treatment is licorice extract. The active ingredient in it
(glycyrrhizic acid)
disables the enzyme that destroys cortisol. Thus, presumably, you
would get
more
cortisol without too much risk of getting your cortisol level very
high.
Btw, this
is NOT the same as licorice candy or licorice flavored stuff. Those
contain
oil from a parcely relative that has no such activity in the body.
Now, I
am not trying to scare you, but licorice is potent stuff and you
should know
what you are doing before you start. Read up on it, but remember that
most
of
the info about it is not very accurate (ranges from negative scare
tactics
from
the medical profession to sometimes miraculous on the health nut
side). Try
get standardized stuff. The only source in US I know of is Natures
Herbs
(it's
a TwinLabs subsidiary). It's standardized to 2.5% glycyrrhizic acid.
Btw,
deglycirrhizinated licorice is worthless for this purpose as the
active
ingredient
is removed.

I KNOW that in my particular case it's cortisol low cortisol levels
that
cause
the coughs. After I take enough licorice extract the cough goes away
for a
while,
so that's my own way of handling it. When I have a cold that puts
additional
stress on the body and I think that's what actually triggers coughs (I
don't
have much of a need to cough even with an otherwise very soar throat
if I
take
licorice root extract). Getting enough sleep is also VERY important.
As for
carbing up during colds I think it helps because it reduces the
severity of
illness, thus reducing the physical stress level and the need for
cortisol.
Also, if there is a connection between lowered thyroid and lowered
adrenal
levels
then it's possible that active thyroid goes up as a result of carbing
up
(liver needs carbs to convert T4 to T3) which then brings up adrenals,
but
this
is just a speculation.

Finally, sorry about all the handwaving, but I have gone over this
stuff
a few years ago and now don't remember much of the endo books and
studies
I've read.

Ilya