From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:54:09 -0800
Todd Moody wrote:
>One theory is that cooking
>meat, especially broiling or frying at high temperatures, creates
>heterocyclic amines, which are carcinogenic.

Todd, I seem to recall reading recently that grilled meat is different
from fried meat in its carcinogenic quality. The article (not an
original rsrch source but did have citations) said that frying meat
didn't seem to cause the same carcinogenic tendency as grilled, and went
on to recomment reduced consumption of grilled meat. I tend to pan fry
meat in olive oil or animal fat with garlic. The carbonized deposits on
grilled meat are almost certainly carcinogenic, at least mildly, and pan
frying doesn't cause the tissue to carbonize this way. You say "frying
_at a high temperature_" and I think this was mentioned, too...it's
perhaps the browning reactions that result in these carcinogens although
of course there could be other reasons for the red meat carcinogen link.

--Richard