From:
Micki Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:39:13 MST
I recently succeeded in making my first batch of pemmican. It was worth the
work, which was mostly finding a source for good suet. It's true it's true!
This stuff is yummy! I did have trouble grinding the jerky with my food
processor, which is not one of the better models, but I found a use for my old
vita-mix from long ago vegan days. It did the job beautifully. When I was
looking for good organic dried cherries, to my chagrin, most companies put
saflower oil among other things, in with them, rendering them inedible. Boy do
they sneak the forbidden stuff in any way they can! So I improvised with
homemade dehydrated blackberries which had been picked and frozen by me last
summer. Just a few for flavor. I found my self scraping the bowl and licking
the spoon at the end. No wonder it's comparable to mother's milk. If anyone
hasn't tried to make pemmican, I highly recommend it.