From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:50:53 +0000

Re fructose comments from Todd:-" Actually, that clinches nothing. That citrus fruits, in particular, have a protective effect against ischemic stroke really says absolutely nothing about the effect of fructose on the liver. Indeed, the fact that citrus fruits, in particular, but not, say, apples, seem to have this protective effect, suggests that something else in the citrus is helping. Apples are quite high in fructose; higher than citrus. I am not arguing that fruit, in any amount, is bad for you. I am arguing that even in paleo foods, there are elements that can be harmful. "

We seem to be arguing for no reason, then if you're not against whole fruits. I stated that there were other substances within fruits that clearly negate the negative effects of fructose given the vast number of studies showing an overall health-benefit for diets high in fruit/veg(though not vegan ones) - (that is, unless there are studies clearly showing extreme damage to the liver as the proportion of fruits/veg increases). Granted, every single substance , if isolated and taken in excessive amounts, can be deleterious to human health. For example, if a zero-carber rigidly removed all fat from the meats he ate and just ate lots of  protein, he'd pretty soon encounter health-problems re rabbit-starvation. But, obviously, such limited diets are no good for anyone.

As for dosage levels, this page gives details, claiming less than 90g of fructose a day is fine:-

 http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/88/5/1189

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/