From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:09:51 -0700
What follows is dedicated to 'vegetarians' who eat fish:

So the honey and I go to see "Cast Away" on Christmas Eve.  Par for the
course, we sit and giggle all the way through the credits.  Once again, we
see what's apparently the standard deal; 'no animals were harmed in
production of this film, and any scenes which show injury were simulated.'
Something to that effect.  A CYA/PETA thing.

I'm not giving anything away on the flick so, if you haven't seen it yet,
keep reading.  Tom Cruise's character has to eat SOMETHING.  At one point,
you see him spear a crab.  Another time, he spears a fish and chows down.
One of his first 'delights' was an inch-long minnow.

Lemme get this straight.  All this was fake?  I'm not doubting it.  But I
must say, with the money it took to make a fake crab, think how many
starving children the film's producers could've fed for a day.

I know, I know, the film itself cost valuable cash, yadda yadda yadda.  But
it's okay for Hollywood to show rape and pillage, use language that's even
beyond MY vocabulary (in front of strangers, anyhow) and make women look
like nothing more than inanimate objects but hey, at least we didn't harm an
animal doin' it!  Puh-lease.

Although my boyfriend put it well; 'I wonder how many vegetarians stranded
on an island would stick with coconuts.'

On a final note, here's something politically incorrect; Merry Christmas!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO