From:
Greg Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 01:05:50 -0500
I've been eating along paleo lines for about 6 months now and since I
find myself sticking to certain eating patterns so I thought I'd see if
anyone on the list thinks I'm eating too much/too little of anything.

I'm 23 yrs old and have always been very lean.  I've dropped about 10
pounds to 175 (I'm 6'0) since going paleo but haven't noticed much
change in body composition.  Living a student life with a tight budget
my meals are very plain and repetitive.  Most of my paleo interest came
from following Art De Vany's blog which I think is the best advice out
there.  Every fourth or fifth day I eat sparingly, sometimes not
anything.  My goals are to maximize muscle, minimize fat and keep my
weight up.

Have been eating about 3-4 meals a day that each basically consist of:
- 1 portion of meat (grain-fed) or seafood (cold-water) or omega-3
enriched eggs
- 1-2 handfuls of mixed tree nuts
- 1 piece of fruit (mainly berries,apples,oranges)
- at least 1 serving of dark green and other vegetables
- 1 tbsp of olive oil or udo's oil

I usually eat canned seafood once every other day and same with eggs.
The meat is cheap fatter cuts such as ground beef, pork chops, chicken
wings, sausage.  I do buy some grass-fed beef pemmican from U.S.
Grassland Beef but I can't afford much of it (wish I knew of somewhere
in Canada I could get pemmican).  I'm concerned about eating too much of
the wrong fats in the long run.  The udo's oil does help to balance my
o-3 to o-6 and I also take a few fish oil caps daily.  Other than that
the only other supplement I take is 1000IU Vitamin D a few times a week
in the winter.  Need to keep my calories up because I train with weights
and play quite a bit of sports weekly, so I'm relying on eating high
fat, might not be getting enough carbohydrates since I rarely if ever
eat root vegetables and stay strictly paleo.

Also any suggestions for getting some more calories in there at meals or
supplements I should consider ?

-Greg