From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:15:12 -0500
Hi Cairo,

As all the items you listed (except quinoa, which I am told is
technically a fruit) are grains, they are nonPaleo.  I'm guessing they
were recommended to you since they have comparatively low glyceimic
indexes for grains.  You can find GI listings at:
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

I am no expert on candida, but I have many friends who've been
diagnosed with it - there seems to be an epidemic of it among young
women in particular - and over the years I've made a few observations.
In general they are being treated by alternative healthcare
practicioners who are  biased towards near-vegetarian diets based on
whole grains. Though it's is clear that the condition is exacerbated by
sugar and grains, instead of recommending a no-grain diet to their
patients - which would seem to make the most sense to me - they
recommend the 'least offensive' of the grains.  So if your normal diet
was based on white bread and sugar and other Paleo no-no's, then yes,
these low-GI grains would be an improvement.  But by the same
reasoning, I don't see why a Paleo diet (modified so that it has little
or no fruit) wouldn't be even more of an improvement.  If you're
worried about fibre, soluble fibre can be provided by seeds, nuts &
some veggies.  Veggies also provide insoluble fiber.

Could it be that your healthcare provider is uncomfortable with the
paleo no-grain approach?

Cheyenne