From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:49:49 -0500
Charles wondered if a vegan would eat ant pie.

Vegans do not eat or use anything in the animal kingdom: mammals, birds,
reptiles, fish, bugs, etc. and their byproducts: gelatin, honey, eggs, milk,
leather, bones, etc. Supposedly they are practicing "nonharming". Some even
go to extremes to avoid acciedntally killing or consuming the tiniest
organisms. I've heard of people wearing brushes on their shoes to sweep any
insects out of harm's way so they don't get stepped on, and wearing veils to
avoid inhaling little bugs. Vegans will tell you that all the Hindus in
India do this. That's crap. I know a lot of Hindus, most of them grew up in
India, they think all of that is silly. (Refer to Ted Nugent transcript <g>)
A lot of my Hindu friends even eat meat. They try to avoid cow by-products,
but will eat most other things.

The whole vegan "nonharming" mentality originates from ahimsa, the yogic
practice of nonviolence. However, pure ahimsa is not possible, as our bodies
are constantly working to kill viruses and bacteria. How far does one go?
Ahimsa is not just about action (killing/not killing), but also intention
(for what purpose?). The extremist vegan ideal of nonharming reminds me of
my "good Christian" parents trying to physically beat "honor thy mother and
father" into me. It's just a little counterproductive, not to mention
extremely ignorant. And ironic.

Stacie