From:
Charlotte Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 05:22:08 -0400
Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my question. Ashley, Susan, Ro,
Caroline, Leonie... Your replies were very helpful and I think I've reached
some conclusions: eat as paleo as possible, while being flexible and
reasonable about it; smaller shifts away from paleo (a salty condiment) are
better than larger shifts (pasta followed by cookies and ice cream); listen
to my body's reactions.

Curiously, I did not expect to have any reactions to non-paleo eating, but
have been surprised to notice two trends:

1) I can't seem to make it more than 3 days without a non-paleo eat. Toward
the end of the 3rd day I get a strong need to eat wheat/dairy stuff. I
wouldn't even say it's a craving. It's more like... my body needs something
and nothing I give it is satisfying until I give it wheat/dairy. After
which, it's easy to eat paleo again for the next 2.5 days. Maybe this is
addiction to the opiates that Ashley mentioned? I'm not sure, but the trend
is making me think I should try to push past that 3rd day and see what
happens.

2) I get a bad blood sugar crash within 24 hours after eating non-paleo
sugar stuff (cookies, cake, ice cream), despite returning to paleo eating
within those 24 hours.  This is weird because I don't remember blood sugar
crashes being that predictable when I was eating non-paleo sugar foods
everyday. Is this normal? I guess I should try to avoid the sweets.

Again, I really appreciated your replies. Thank you!
Charlotte

PS. The coconut ice cream sounds fabulous!