From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 21:27:43 +0900
On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 07:43  PM, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
 > in January Elizabeth posted something about homocysteine and it's
 > dangers.
 > Homocysteine is made by the body in the process of converting
 > methionine to
 > the really needed cysteine.

I am not sure if limiting methionine would be a good idea. I recall
from my nutrition classes that methionine is one of the limiting amino
acids. In fact, farmers deliberately add high methionine foods to
animal diets. A low level of methionine is not a good thing.

That said, anyone eating much meat is getting plenty of methionine. All
animal products are high in it, as are most beans. Methionine is the
amino acid that vegetarians are adding beans to balance for.