Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 18:28:59 -0400
KATHRYN P ROSENTHAL posted this:
>>I just bought a large tin of grape seed oil in the health food store because
grape seed has anti-breast cancer properties.

Reply:

Welcome back!

This oil would only be of value if it is "virgin pressed" and sold in a dark
bottle.  If sold in a clear bottled it is likely rancid already.  The
companies that properly press oils go to great lengths to do so under
special conditions that protect the oil from light, heat, and oxygen.  Light
can damage an oil even if the bottle is closed.  I have only see refined
grape seed oil.  I have read more about the cancer protective effects of
fish oil.  Also, eating large amounts of fresh fibrous veggies and fruits
can help reduce the risk of cancer.... using too much oil, particularly if
rich in PUFAs has been shown to increase cancer in animal studies.

Free flowing oils are easy to overuse, compared to whole foods.  One caveat:
There are many people who cannot eat whole or ground flax seeds because they
cause excrutiating uncomfortable gas and bloating.  It is likely that you
cannot get much ALA from whole flax seeds because of the presence of large
amounts of fiber and lignins which bind with fat and prevent its absorption,
so some things,like flax seeds, if used, may be best pressed, then using
judiciously.

Rachel