From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:43:17 -0600
Hi Justin - in regards to your query concerning fasting as therapy
for chronic conditions such as cancer and lupus, may I suggest you
hunt down titles in that area written by Dr. Herbert Shelton. In
particular, "The Science and Fine Art of Fasting" provides
comprehensive coverage on the theoretical basis of extended inanition
and on clinical experiences drawn from supervising thousands of fasts
at his institution in Texas.

Another book "Roger's Recovery From AIDS" also highlights fasting as
a cornerstone of the recovery process witnessed by the author, a
physician who now operates a fasting retreat for AIDS patients.

Dr. Kristen Nolfi (sp?) describes in one book about her experiences
with fasting and her recovery from breast cancer.

Sorry if the book titles aren't exact (or missing) as I'm pulling
them out of my memory banks. The books are currently in boxes in a
closet.

Personally my experiences are limited in that my longest fast was
only a week. I still occasionally fast a day or two when my appetite
wanes due to illness or fatigue.

I believe extended fasting for chronic diseases can be effective; and
when coupled with an equal period of cleansing diets (juices and raw
foods), this will allow the body to continue the accelerated
elimination of toxins. Once the body has regained equilibrium of
sorts, however, it may be prudent to modify the diet to one that
rebuilds tissue.

Cheers,
Jo