From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:50:01 GMT
Anyone hear of soaking an egg shell in lemon juice overnight to make a
high
calcium tonic?  I remember reading something about this but can't
remember
where.  I seem to recall that the acid in the lemon juice will leach
out
the calcium carbonate from the shell.  Any thoughts as to if this is
plausible and if so, how much calcium would one shell yield???

Yes, I have heard this too. In fact, I was just thinking about this
the
other day although I do not know how much calcium it would yield. It
seems
it would depend upon how much calcium was in the shell in the first
place,
as that will probably vary depending on how and what the chicken was
fed. If
you are going to try it remember to wash your eggs first, as it is the
outside of the shell where salmonella bacteria is.