From:
Andy Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:01:32 -0500
I got cut off in my previous message - I am new to this technology :--)

Anyway, I am around 50-30-20 (F-P-C), which is much more manageable, and
I'm doing it with the help of potatoes and certain legumes.

The more fundamental issue is that of the health benefits.  How do you
reconcile the fact that chronic disaease such as heart diease and cancer
and degenerative diseases really didn't exist very much at all throughout
most of history, while people were stuffing their faces with bread, cheese,
potatoes, and other non-paleo food.  Oh, and what diseases are we talking
about, anyway?  The Eskimos are cited as an example of excellent because of
virtually no heart attacks or ca

ncer, but they do have extremely high rates
of stroke (I think that Ward Nicholson has made this point).  Shouldn't the
goal be to live a long, vigorous, upbeat life and do have diet assist in
that.  Is is better to die of stroke than of a heart attack?  It is
significant that we are living to 75+ years of age, which is astronomical
compared with modern-day "primitive" people, who live in clean environments
and don't have auto accidents, war, drug abuse, or inner-city homicide.
People constantly cite the improved medical care that we have in this day
and age, but does this neatly explain everything?

My point is that it has not been well-established what the precise benefit
of eating a very strict Paleolithic diet is.  Certain individuals have been
able to cure themselves of major disease or illness by eating a Caveman
diet, such as Audette, and then turn around and try to convince everyone

that they must only eat these certain foods.  I am very happy for anyone
that has rid themselves of MS or autism, or anything else, but the fact is
that the vast majority of us do not suffer from a major food allergy, and
would not gain much by adopting a strict approach.  It's all very
individualized - some people react badly to strawberries and tomatoes,
others to peanuts and cheese.  Clearly, there are some junk foods that have
no nutritional rationale - bread, margarine, hot dogs, for example.  But
beyond avoiding such crap, I think that the best approach is to eat good,
fresh, whole foods, with lots of lean meat and fish, a variety of
vegetables, and fruits, nuts, seeds, and plenty of good-quality fats and
oils.  Beyond that, don't worry about it.

Well, that's my two cents, at least :--)