From:
Andrea Luxenburg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2014 19:28:19 -0700
My understanding is that the so-called Mediterranean diet is based on the diet of Crete during Lent, when for religious reasons they eat no meat or dairy at all. Researchers forgot to check back at Easter, when they roast a whole lamb or three, along with dozens of eggs and loads of butter, full fat cheese, heavy cream, and a luxuriously sinful spread made by combining the cheese, butter, eggs, and cream with sugar, almonds, and dried fruit.

The problem with a lot of these studies is first that almost anything they study is healthier than the Standard American Diet. (I call it the Purina Rat Chow phenomenon: clearly the Chow is very bad for rats, since every diet they stack up against it comes out ahead.) Secondly, people who eat any diet considered to be good for you are likely to also do other healthy things, like exercising and quitting smoking,which further confounds the data.

Andromeda