Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:11:10 -0400
 "karen kellock Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]> said:

>>I don't want to get too legalistic, but so often I hear "salads are so low
in carbs" so people don't count carbs.  But a salad can be 30 carbs--and if
you're thinking it's nothing, you can easily have a 70-carb day and wonder
why you aren't losing weight....many people have rejected lowcarb dieting
for that reason. remember: a tomato is 6, a cuc is 6, 1/2 lettuce is
6--there you already have 18 carbs.

My reply:

Actually if you subtract the fiber (which is indigestible) from the total
carb content, you can eat a lot of veggies for a small number of carbohyrate
grams.  Check out *the Protein Power Lifeplan* book by Michael and Mary Dan
Eades for their charts.    Barry Sears has similar charts which list the
digestible carbs for various portions; he lists things by blocks, i.e. a
serving of each food that contains 10 grams of digestible carbs.

Btw:  Some people will get into ketosis and stay there and lose body fat at
30, 40, 50 or even 60 grams of carbs.  Some folks will cut carbs to 30
grams, 20 grams or less and not get into ketosis, or if they are in ketosis,
not lose weight because they end up eating so much protein and/or fat to
feel satisfied and energetic that they have no calorie deficit and therefore
their bodies have no need to burn body fat.  (If there is enough dietary
fat/calories coming in, even at a very low carb level, some people will not
experience fat/weight loss, except possibly glycogen and water.)

Some people can eat their previous maintenance level of calories and
presumably lose fat and while eating a low-carb ketogenic diet; others find
they don't lose an ounce low carbing at maintenance calories.

There are many variations in how people react to various calorie/fat/protein
levels.  It is intersting (and sometimes frustrating) to see, hear about,
and note the differences (especially if you are the one going through it).
For the majority of people I know, a calorie deficit is a requirement for
fat loss.  I've also talked to many people who weren't losing weight but
were low carbing strictly; come to find out they were eating so many
calories from fat that they didn't need to burn body fat.

Rachel