From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:27:31 -0700
> >Non-domesticated plants also have fewer nutrients
> and are much harder to
> >harvest than their modern cousins.
> it is surprising , i would have thought the
> opposite, what are the basis for
> this affirmation?

I contract for a large seed company. I've spoken with
a number of their experts and this contention is true.
The seed business is very competitive and the leaders
are those who can produce the better genetics.
Superior nutrition is one of the goals, as well as
superior looks, taste, smell, etc. In fact, and this
should be of great interest to this group, they are
going far beyond genetically engineering superior food
crops. They are actually *changing* the basic
attributes of the fruits and vegetables in the labs.
Like increasing the level of a particular nutrient
where the nutrient was "lacking" before. Or actually
changing a veggie so it will introduce a vaccine into
the bloodstream of the consumer. They like to play
around with potatoes since they are easily
manipulated.

So, rest assured, the veggie you are eating is much
higher in nutrients (and maybe some other things) than
its ancestors.