Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 02:09:18 -0400
> Okay, a serious question here.  Is there any evidence (maybe even
> anecdotal) that fasting heals degenerative diseases such as cancer and
lupus?
> It sounds like a very unhealthy thing to do to me.  Opinions needed
please.

> Justin Hasselman

My girlfriend has systemic lupus and she is right now fasting, in part as a
result of her voluntary effort to lose weight and in part because she has
simply been too busy to take time to eat. She has barely eaten since
Wednesday and today it is already Monday. :/ I've been trying to persuade
her that fasting for so long is not healthy but if her lupus symptoms recede
(arthritic, mainly) then of course I will be forced to re-evaluate.

As for the possibility that fasting might permanently heal lupus, I would
say that is a longshot at best. Lupus is more or less incurable, though as
always there may be some extraordinary cases in the literature of
spontaneous miracles.

Lupus is an autoimmune disorder. COX-II inhibitors and corticosteroids are
common treatments, but these really only treat the symptoms and not cause.

-gts