From:
Paleo Phil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:34:02 -0400
William doesn't accept evolutionary biology. My sense is that he is a strong
believer in the concept of a special creation of humans, so trying to
convince him the human evolution occurred is probably a lost cause.

It doesn't matter much anyway. Whether one believes a Paleo diet is one we
adapted to via evolution or were created for via divine intervention, it
makes sense to follow this WOE either way.

Back to the topic...Dr. Meller's book looks like a sign of the growing
acceptance of Paleolithic nutrition and progress in understanding of it. He
is the first member of the establishment I've seen who promotes Paleolithic
nutrition and also accepts that animal fats are healthy and one should
encourage their consumption rather than discourage it, if one wants to
promote an optimal type of diet.

Like all diet and health books, there will be errors. But it looks like the
scientists and doctors are learning. As I mentioned before, Dr. Cordain even
had some half-decent words for saturated fat recently, though he still
recommends "lean meats."

I am less concerned about the errors of Meller, Cordain and others than I am
about the fact that as they spread the word and more and more people eat
this way, our foods are likely to become increasingly expensive and scarce.

Some people poo poo this concern, but they didn't witness the Atkins craze
first hand in the health store I worked in and see how the things that
Atkins dieters bought shot up in price and became scarce.

As it is, wild fish and game animals are increasingly scarce and the prices
of Paleo-type foods have been rising due to a number of factors. Here are a
few examples:

Declining wild Alaska salmon harvest:
http://seagrant.uaf.edu/nosb/papers/2005/images/Apex-fig3.jpg

...and escalating prices:
http://seagrant.uaf.edu/nosb/papers/2005/images/Apex-fig4.jpg

Escalating fish oil prices (with a recent large correction due to the
recession): http://www.eurofish.dk/billeder/g2_2587.gif

Rising price of bison jerky:
http://www.nextag.com/GOLDEN-VALLEY-Natural-Natural-602892835/price-history-html