From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:55:15 +0100
Adrienne Smith wrote:

 > Does this mean that consuming olive oil will interfere with the
 > anti-inflammatory benefits of omega-3 fat?

No.
To the opposite they will slow down AA production (bad PG) by
competition for d5d.

But OA (Olive oil) will slow down all EFA activity (by that same
competition). And eventually, according to one study (mentionened by
W.Price and Erasmus) it can totally stop EFA activity if the total
percentage of EFAs is very low (as low as it is in farmed beef fat only).

To the extent this happens two things will occur:
1.long chain EFAs production (EFA DHA AA) will become little
    this can be equaled out by eating pre-formed lc-EFA (fish oil)
2.good series-1 prostaglandins (made from LA->DGLA) will be missing
    that's the problem.
3.cell walls will get less of LA and LNA to become part of the structure
    this is annother problem and can lead to less flexible and permeable
    cell walls (less sensitive to insulin for example, less blood flow).

  From natural sources only this will never occur, as natural sources
have adequate EFAs. Olive oils is not very high in EFAs, but still it
has much more than beef. For unnatural sources (farmed meat for example)
you'll have to use supplements like flax, perilla , hemp, walnut oil.
Or someday the'll feed some flax and sunflower seed to animals.

 >How does one determine how to
 > tweak their ratios of the various fatty acids?

That's under discussion.
Various authors have provided various suggestions.
All authors considering EFAs and eicosanoids I have read suggest to take
extra PUFA predominately w-3 PUFA. Cordain, A.Simopulous,Ben Best ...

My own approach is to stick to fat compositions found in the wild
(regardless you assume that evolution took place with lots of walrus or
emus or tubers). This is why I made my whole food tables.

regards

Amadeus