From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:16:10 +0100
Hello all,

I'd like to learn more about traditional food preparation techniques and
how they can minimize which food toxins.

I find it remarkable that many kinds of "modern" foods do not take
tratitional techniques into account.
Only the worst of all toxins - from microbiotic spoiling
seem to be addressed by freezing, chemicals, canning and so on.

Microbiotic toxins from outside and inside the gut are the toxins
endangering humans from fish and meats.
People eating meats *not* fresh killed - as usual today
and even for hunters totaly unpaleo IMHO - might encounter it.
Can anybody imagine to "age" a freshly killed antelope baby
before eating it?

But my interest goes on the plant toxins which are more common
and less drastic, and an important topic in paleo-literature.

I'd appreciate if someone could recommend books on the topic
(besides your postings i found and listed below).

I recall someone posting about a internet list or eating group or
people concentrating on traditional preparation techniques.
But alas, I can't recall where it was.
Could you please mention again what that was about?

Thanks

Amadeus

Rachel Matesz wrote:
>Check out *Nutrition
>& Physical Degneration* by Weston Price, DDS and also Ron Schmid, N.D.'s
>book *Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine*.  See page 162 of
Schmid's

Ben Balzer wrote:
>A number of important toxins are not
>inactivated by cooking he points out  but usually by referring to the
>published results. A number of toxins disappear when grains are sprouted.
>traditional methods do that- thay also combine foods (neoltihic) with
good
>effects- eg traditional fares often have a mixure of a grain and a
>bean/lentil providing the full band of amino acids.
and
The best references on this are:
1. Irvin Liener, "Toxic Constituents of Plant Food Substances", 2nd ed,

1980
http://gate.library.ualberta.ca:8002/MARION/ABH-6287 has some more

librarian
info on it.