From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:54:32 -0600
I just heard a report on National Public Radio about genetic engineering of
foods. In the course of the report, they interviewed a scientist who
mentioned that during World War II, what we call canola oil was used as an
industrial lubricant. It was inedible because it contained significant
quantities of two substances (unnamed) that made the oil inedible. However,
after the plants from which the oil was derived were bombarded by chemicals
and radiation, these two offending substances were removed from the plants.
Oil from the plants could then be "safely" consumed.

Troy G.