Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:34:59 -0800
Elevated Rubeola Titers in Autistic Children

T. Zecca, D. Graffino, M. Lania-Howarth, M. Passannante, J. Oleske
NJMS, Children's Hospital of NJ, Newark, NJ

The syndrome of autism is a clinical entity affecting 20 out of 10,000
children. We have evaluated the possible role of MMR in the pathogenesis
of autism by comparing rubeola titers in autistic and normal children.
Among 16 children diagnosed with autism followed in our clinical
practice, we noted these children to have a 3 fold increase in their
rubeola titers over expected normal range. A Wilcoxon Kruskal Wallis
test comparing 13 rubeola titers from normal children reveals a
statistically significant P-value of 0.0050. Subjectively, parents have
stated that their children's developmental milestones deteriorated
following MMR vaccination. Neurological sequelae following MMR are
widely reported. MMR therefore may play a role in the pathogenesis of
autism. The elevated titers of anti-measles antibodies in autistic
children may signify a chronic activation of the immune system against
this neurotropic virus.

Will the paleo diet over time quiet this chronic activation of the immune
system against the MMR virus? Does anyone know? Our kids thyroids are also
under attack. Mary