From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:42:19 -0500
william wrote:

>Keith Thomas wrote:
>
>> What do you find objectionable about the fat you have been using?

>While the meat is from grass finished "mature" oxen, There's not
>enough fat on them, so the farmer asks for fat from the butcher who has
>the abattoir. That fat is from animals that have been finished on
>commercial fodder, which contains DPW (dried poultry waste) - I can tell
>first by the smell when rendering.

We palaeo eaters remain in a tiny minority. It's obvious to us that a palaeo
diet is best for Homo sapiens, and yet there is even a smaller minority who
believe the same is the case for pets and livestock. I had thought the
feeding to cows of chicken s**t  was confined to the US and that Canadians
were wiser.

>There are small masses - from pea
>size to large grape size - of a very soft purplish-brown stuff

Relax, these are glands and totally natural; they appear just as you
describe even in cattle that have been wholly range fed.

My only solutions for you, William, are to either locate an affordable local
supply of wholly grain-fed meat or else grow grow and butcher your own
chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs etc.

There is a third option which is available in some places: clubbing together
to buy a side of lamb or a side of mutton and butchering and sharing the
meat out among the buyers. You are likely to find that the cuts you prefer
are not in high demand and so meat bought like this could work out as cheap
as supermarket meat.

Keith