From:
"Kristina K. Carlton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 06:01:15 -0500
Hi Susan,

I have never had an ALCAT test but feel that the ELISA is helpful. Typically
I already suspect certain foods when I have the test done, but because
symptoms can occur as late as 3 days after ingesting the food, it is really
hard to tell sometimes with elimination alone.

This time around I had already suspected pork. There were several times I
ate pork and afterward I had horrible water retention in my legs and
stomach. It was gone the next morning. Since we had eaten at restaurants
those times I thought it could have been cross contamination because I am
very intolerant to dairy - no doubt about it - and I wasn't sure. When I got
my results back I showed a medium reaction to pork. Equally I had suspected
a reaction to beef and also buffalo (not tested). Shortly before getting the
test I also noticed water retention after eating beef (grass fed,
hormone/antiobiotic free) but more so, I felt almost addicted to it. They
say this can be a sign that you are intolerant to a food.

For me personally eating paleo alone didn't do it - I find these tests very
helpful and typically when I eliminate the foods that the lab found I react
to, I start to feel better.

If you have more questions that you feel don't belong on the list feel free
to email me privately.

Kristina