From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:18:47 +1000
At 8:00 +1000 15/12/1998, Rob Street wrote:

>Are cashews paleo?  I was told they are toxic before processing.  Are
>there any "nuts" other than peanuts that are not paleo?

Cashews aren't a nut. (Ever seen a cashew in a husk?)
They are actually a legume, and aren't all that good for you.
PaleoThin describes why, IIRC.

>What determines whether or not  a particular oil is paleo?

The PaleoThin definition is if you can obtain the oil equipped with a
stick and a rock, it's paleo. I can't think of any paleo oils other
than lard. Perhaps brazil nuts have a high enough oil content that the
oil could be extracted with rocks?

>How is pork paleo if it is unsafe to eat raw?

I don't consider pork paleo. The genetic changes and composition of farmed
pigs when compared to wild boars is astounding. Wild boars are on my paleo
list, but pork isn't. Similarly, I have my doubts about the paleo-ness of
grain-fed or unnaturally fatty beef. Wild game meat is the most paleo, if
you have access to it.

>What is it about curing that make meats non-paleo?  I have yet to find
>uncured bacon - only bacon without nitrates.

It's been processed. Paleo man would probably not have had the know-how to
process meats in this manner.

>I am a deer hunter, and have the opportunity to kill wild hogs as well.
>Does anyone know how to make bacon? ( uncured )

A search for "+cure +bacon" on Altavista turned up some results.
From: http://www.moonrakers.com/recipe.htm

  TO CURE BACON IN THE WILTSHIRE WAY
  from Mrs Beeton's

  Ingredients

  2 whole sides (flitches) of pork
  1 and a half pounds of coarse sugar
  1 and a half pounds of bay-salt
  6 oz saltpetre
  1 pound of common salt

  Sprinkle each flitch with salt, and let the blood drain off for 24 hours;
  then pound and mix the remaining ingredients well together and rub it into
  the meat, which should be turned every day for a month; then hang it to
  dry, and afterwards smoke it for 10 days.

>Does anyone actually gather?  Any recommendations for someone in
>Lubbock, TX?

When I have the opportunity I gather from my vegetable garden :)
Unfortunately I currently don't have the space for a garden (just some
herbs in pots). I sometimes feel the urge to gather from orchards and
market gardens on the roadside, but I usually suppress my criminal urges. I
know of people who don't.

>Ray suggests ingesting herbs as an alternative to intoxication by
>alcohol.  Does anyone have recommendations? ( legal or otherwise )

Various types of mushrooms are hallucinogenic, although I know one person
who has been institutionalised for life after eating the wrong ones. Be
very very careful. Also, nutmeg is hallucinogenic. When I heard about that
I ate 3 teaspoon fulls, chewing thoroughly, for breakfast. I had a
fantastic day at work, but had the worst hang-over afterwards. Cannabis
possibly qualifies as a herb.

>To paleo pet-owners: How do I start my dog on paleo?  What about my cat?

Feed them both a variety of raw meat. Supposedly it's dangerous to feed
dogs chicken bones, as the bones splinter and the dog can perforate their
oesophagus (sp?) or choke on it if they swallow without chewing properly.
Cats love fish, but mine prefers it cooked!

 ...Richard.