From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:56:07 -0700
Some dude who says he's a "scholar" posted

>What would be lost and what would be gained if one had to both never be
>disagreeable and always carefully post in a way that the
>misunderstandings with everyone with their own personal assumptions
>would be minimized?  Someone is always going to disagree with you

Wow. Way to "prove" and emphasize your own point. Good job

>regardless, so it's better to say what you mean and mean what you say
>than to "qualify" your speech to the lowest common denominator.  Most of

Why not try to "qualify" your speech to the *highest* common denominator? Impulsively hitting reply, copying an entire thread, without properly thinking about and formatting your response - is actually playing to the lowest common denominator.

>the personal learning IMO occurs when people who disagree make their
>cases, either politically correctly or not.

No real "learning" takes place in the midst of bickering.

>I disagree 100%.

You have a perfect right to do so.

>People who read posts need to manage their reading, I'm not going to do it.

The reason for a forum like this is to ask questions and communicate information with other members. It *is* the responsibility of the author of the post to be as clear and concise as possible. This is not a sports board where smack, bantering, and stupid opinions rule. This is an educational support forum. Disagreements are expected to be backed up with resources and references rather than name calling and compulsive posting.

Sure, communication is a two way street. But, it is not my responsibilibty to "get" your point by having to read between the lines and/or interpreting/inferring what you mean. *You* need to format your message so that I, the reader, do not misunderstand or misinterpret what you say. And, it is far easier to accomplish that in the midst of white space rather than white noise.