From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:41:55 -0700
At 07:40 PM 08/06/1999 -0700, Medusa wrote:
>Anyone has suggestions on how to live the Paleo way with limited funds?

Chicken wings. Make soup. Turkey parts can be inexpensive, as well.
Choose the cuts that no one wants, like the backs, and stew them.

Look for bacon scraps, sold in bulk. Get suet from a butcher, but
be sure it's fresh. They may assume it's for birds or dogs, and so
they may be less careful of quality.

After baking or stewing poultry, crack the bones so you don't waste
the marrow. It tastes great, too. Gnaw the soft ends of chicken bones,
and I eat most of the cartilage as well. After baking or slow simmering,
it's quite edible.

Cultivate acquaintances in a farmer's market. Trade help with the
stall for veg and fruit, or maybe meat. I remember how wonderful the
chicken in the Hamilton, Ontario Saturday market was.

Notice yards with fruit or nut trees where people don't pick anything,
but just let it fall on the ground. Ask them if you can pick the fruit,
in exchange for cleaning up the windfalls.

Eggs are a good value.

See if anyone nearby has a yard where you can borrow garden space.
I did this years ago, when I was sharing a room and had no money.
Older people may have a yard which they can't keep up anymore, and
would welcome some help. Plant flowers for them, and veg and fruit
for yourself.

Learn to dry food.

Consider moving to a milder climate or a smaller city?

Find a more lucrative livelihood?

Good luck. There's always a way, somehow.

Susan Kline