From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:12:41 -0500
Hi folks -- in view of the recent posts about sugar in bacon, I want to
re-ask a question that I asked some months ago, but which didn't get an
answer.  Sorry if this sounds heretical, but I do want to question the
taboo on sugar.

Fruit is acceptable on the paleo diet, right?  And fruit contains sugar.
Of course, that's fructose.  But from what I've learned, I gather that the
chemistry of fructose is not significantly different from other types of
sugars (although some manufacturers of "health" foods might disagree,
judging from their advertising).

So it seems to me, maybe the real story on sugar is not that it should be
forbidden, but only that the modern American diet contains 'way too much of
it.  Small amounts, for flavoring or for curing bacon, should be OK, except
for those people whose digestive systems have been damaged by long-term
heavy exposure.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!