From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:33:05 -0400
On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Dori Zook wrote:

> This data was not obtained by Cordain but quoted by Cordain and I'm not sure
> he cited all neccesary information to hunt the study down.  I think this
> general idea has a lot to do with Cordain's emphasis on watching how much
> protein you do eat, that too much is a bad thing.  Still, even with the
> acidic residue of protein in the mix, Americans are clearly more at risk for
> osteoporosis; just look at how many elderly Americans have it.
>
> I'll ask around and see if I can get some more info on this study.  I'd like
> to see it myself.

Thanks.  Another reason why I ask is that in the 1928 Bellevue
experiment involving  Stefansson and Andersen, the scientists
monitoring their health noted that they were in negative calcium
balance for the entire year, meaning that they were gradually
leeching the calcium out of their bodies.  Their protein intake
was higher than average, but not tremendously high.  It averaged,
as I recall, about 25% of calories.

I know that Cordain's general approach to paleo eating is high
protein but fairly low-fat, with the remaining energy coming from
paleo
veggies.  These would probably be alkaline enough to buffer the
protein.

Todd Moody