From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 10:45:14 +0000
There are a number of further points I wish to make:-

re comment:-  "Under the paleo concept the quantities consumed of each “in” food is entirely up to individual. You can make it meat heavy if you want, or fruit heavy if you prefer, as long as the foods you eat are paleo. " If you take that definition, instead of the standard 65/35 ratio, then you would also have to include the Instincto Diet(also known as Anopsology) with the Paleo-style variants. The Instincto diet is all-raw and as long as the food is both raw and palaeo, it's considered OK and you just eat according to your instincts/taste(it's mainly a European phenomenon, but there are some in the US). This taste/instinct issue means that most Instinctos get addicted to raw sweet fruits and most only eat small amounts of raw animal foods, though there are a tiny few Instinctos who happen to eat all-raw animal foods only.

Re comment:- " Grass-fed is preferred for meat to get the proper balance of Omega 3s and 6s. For everything else organic is preferred. " It would be far better to state that wild game meat/wildcaught seafood is preferred as that is more in line with palaeo hunters only hunting wild game , not domesticated grassfed meats(obviously, most of us do eat grassfed, which is fine, I just think it should be noted that wild game is better than grassfed/organic.

Caveman diet as a term is fine, "stone age" also refers to part of the neolithic so is not an ideal term, and "hunter-gatherer diet" as a term would also unfortunately apply to modern tribes practising neolithic diets such as the masai.

re mention of vitamin D supplements:- I'm not keen on this since any diet that recommends supplements is, by definition, implying that the diet is so deficient that it cannot provide all the healthy nutrients one needs, which makes us look bad. Since one can get plenty of sufficient vitamin D from palaeo foods, it's really not necessary to mention supplements at all, while being on a palaeo diet.

Re cordain:- I'd heard that he had given up on all that canola oil mention.As for the Audette definition of palaeo re not using any technology to process a food, it is amusingly contrasted with the fact that he allows cooking which is a rather heavy technological process, after all. However, lack of consistency is by the by.

Geoff

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/