From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:51:37 EST
In a message dated 12/13/02 6:25:19 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>These limits, combined, protect one from gluconeogenesis.

Unless you're taking in real carbohydrates from which to derive your glucose,
your body has to transform either the glycerol backbone from the fats you eat
or protein from either your diet or muscle to make glucose for your brain --
thus gluconeogenesis. To avoid breaking down muscle stores you might want to
consider eating more protein. Either way, when there isn't enough glucose
from food cortisol is kicked into play to inhibit your body cells from taking
up glucose (opposes insulin) and to instruct the liver to make glucose from
non-carbohydrate sources -- if this goes on a long time you end up with high
cortisol levels. Unfortunately cortisol also promotes fat storage in the
belly area -- literature is not too clear why, but one guess is that it makes
it easier to retrieve during the next stressful time.

Recently I reported that my cortisol level is high. I think it's due to
several factors: too much awake time - too much light -- I am a terrible
night owl - I fight sleep so I can read more. Also I think too few
carbohydrates has kept me in constant state of stress such that my body
produces cortisol to initiate gluconeogenesis.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>