Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:54:22 -0800
> Dori Zook wrote:
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/19/earlyshow/health/main584585.shtm
>
> A Warning To Atkins Dieters
> NEW YORK, Nov. 20, 2003

I've talked to people who "tried" the Atkins diet. Their number one
complaint was "no energy". One person mentioned that when he stopped
trimming the fat off the meat his energy returned.

I haven't read the book so I don't know if he recommends lean meat, but my
guess is that the people having problems are one that are eating way too
much protein and not enough saturated fat.

There people are probably cutting their carbs to 30g per day as recommended
and eating mustly meat. But they are probably not getting nearly enough fat.
As a result they are probably trying to fill up on meat and not getting
satisfied. At the same time their body is being forced to handle the waste
produced when converting protein into glucose. This is probably where their
kidney failure is coming in, way to much urea and not nearly enough water.

Anyone know if Atkins says anything in his book about making sure to consume
enough fat? What about the dangers of high protein/low water?

-Tad